Start date: 25 March 2022
Location: Online via Zoom
Certificate: Certificate of Completion
Book Now: Click Here
The training will be an interactive session to provide clear and accurate information to employers and employees about working and interacting with people with disabilities.
Information will be presented in two modules:
1. Supporting people with disabilities as employees in the work-place
2. Interacting with people with disabilities as customers
Pre-training anonymous questionnaires will be filled in at the start of the training to determine understanding of participants.
Questionnaire will be completed again after the training to measure improvement on understanding of participants and report submitted to organisation
Participants will leave with an understanding and recognition of the issues surrounding disability in the workplace for employees and when interacting with disabled people as customers.
Who is the course for
Employers/Employees at all levels.
Module 1: Employees with Disabilities
- Know the Employment Equality Act (1998) and the Equal Status Act (2000)
- grounds of discrimination under the Acts
- scope of the Acts and who the Acts apply to
- difference between direct and indirect discrimination
- Be able to apply key provisions of the Act(s) to their own working environment.
- Understand and explain in brief some of the key concepts under the legislation such as “reasonable accommodation”, “nominal cost”, “positive action”, and “harassment”.
- Culture of the organisation and the impact this can have on employees
- Staff health, safety and wellbeing – Mental health issues in the workplace
- Organisational policies and procedures
Module 2: Customer Care
- Disabilities and abilities focusing on mobility and sensory issues
- Perceptual awareness exercises that aim to dispel common myths
- Disability etiquette to clarify appropriate language and behaviour
- Unconscious bias
- Becoming disability confident – with customers
- Culture of the Organisation